Creation Care, NT Wright, Faith and Science, Art, Being Human, and More

July 7th, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Hopkins, Ehrman, Being Human, Genesis, Politics

I just dicovered that if you want a category to show up in the category list you have to actually have posted something in that category. So, I thought I’d write a post and put it into all the various categories I have just recently added, so those categories will show up in my category list! Here are my new categories:

1. Gerard Manley Hopkins – One of my life goals is to write a devotional commentary on the poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins. There is no writer in any language in any genre with whom my spirit resonates more. I look forward to a lifetime with Hopkins, and sharing the significance of his work.

2. Bart (the devil) Ehrman – OK, I don’t really think he is the devil, well, maybe sort of…I just think he has a chip on his shoulder and is taking his personal faith problems out on a huge number of unwitting college students and uncritical readers, and I want to do what I can to stick up for the integrity of the New Testament. I hear Ehrman is a really nice guy and quite a debater, though Steven Colbert put him in his place, not just once, but twice.

3. Being Human – It is a personal pet concern of mine that Christians not lose sight of the significant “humanness” of the Christian life and Christian spirituality. I also want to uphold  God’s concern for the physical created order. Thanks for the title goes to Ranald Macaulay and Jerram Barrs, and their great book “Being Human” which had a significant impact on my life.

4. Grappling with Genesis – I’ve thought of naming this category “Creation and Evolution” or “Faith and Science” and maybe I will, BUT, I have wanted for years to write about what I really think of the message and structure of Genesis One, and the concerns I have about evolution on the one side and intelligent design theories on the other. Now I get to.

5. Old Stuff – This is a new category containing all sorts of devotions, homilies, and Q and A’s I did as part of my role as a local church pastor. I don’t wish to present myself as a local church pastor now, and so I am sticking these together in a sort of archive category.

6. Politics – Ah, this will get me in trouble. Mainly I want to share thoughts about our form of government and the privilege we have in particupating in it, and maybe along the way try to debunk some political nonsense from the progressive left and the religious right.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • De.lirio.us
  • LinkedIn
  • Technorati
  • StumbleUpon
  • Carlos
    5:12 pm on July 7th, 2009 1

Hey Joel-
    Looking forward to seeing much of these topics!

• Ike
    6:18 am on December 27th, 2014 2

Oh, erstklassig! :-) Mir gfeallen die Le4ssigkeit und der Pragmatismus ebenso gut wie die ruhige Arroganz, sich seine Regeln nach eigenem Gutdfcnken selbst zusammenzustellen.

• Jerlie
    3:47 pm on April 3rd, 2015 3

An alternative to shocol closing is to place funding where learning happens at the level of the local shocol. With per student budgeting each site would receive about $9,420 for each student (average per student funding in 07-08). This would cover every existing site budget with plenty left over for which the central office could creatively compete through quality support services.School sites need to be focused on addressing the diverse challenges of our students and our future. Small neighborhood shocols have a research established ability to provide important individual attention and to nurture crucial resiliency factors. These quality aspects save the public millions in future social costs and make us millions in contributions to the economy as well as even more important contributions to good citizenship.Misinformation stated recently by SCUSD management:Closures are necessary to address budget shortfalls: SCUSDe2€™s income has increased every year except for one slight dip one year and, with the federal stimulus, will continue to grow. Spending has always grown and is projected by management to be higher than last year by 25 million by yeare2€™s end. This is not accurate but shows both there poor bookkeeping and lack of focus on making real cuts away from the classroom.Closures are needed due to a 10 year decline in enrollment: SCUSDe2€™s own medium range projections state that we will see the beginning of a 10 year increase in elementary enrollment starting in 2008-09. The projection was for 26,327 and at October CBED count we were at 26,357. The projection is for a return to 1999-00 levels by 2014-15.

• Gaby
    5:41 pm on May 3rd, 2015 4

Well, here’s to hoping that the NT Blog and the NT Pod don’t go that route! ;-) Mark, did you get a cchane to read (or browse through) Ehrman’s Mythicist book? I would be very interested to hear/read your impressions of it.Cheers.

8:15 am on June 25th, 2015 5

Such a deep answer! GD&RVVF

3:51 pm on July 14th, 2015 6

Intelligence and simplicity – easy to understand how you think.

RSS feed for comments on this post | TrackBack URI

• Linkedin Profile

• My Flickr Site

www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing items in a set called 100 Most Interesting. Make your own badge here.
  • Facebook

• My Twitter Feed..

Posting tweet...

Powered by Twitter Tools.

• joelgillespie.blogspot.com